The initial release of the Keystone Tax Solutions Pro program does not include the state programs. You will need to download and install each state program as it becomes available during the first few weeks of January. On a daily basis throughout the year you will want to manually check for state updates to ensure that you are running the most up-to-date state programs. Being up-to-date on state programs helps avoid rejects and calculation errors.
Upon startup and before the login window is displayed, Keystone Tax Solutions Pro will download and install updates for the main program, federal program, and your state’s program automatically. To download and install a state update manually, from the Main Menu of Keystone Tax Solutions Pro select:
- In the Internet Update Utility Main Menu, select Download/Install Updates
- A state highlighted in red indicates that it has either not been installed or that an update is available. Select any states that you wish to install. To install all that are highlighted in red, click the Check All Needed check box.
- Select Download
Important: If you work in a networked environment with multiple computers using Keystone Tax Solutions Pro:
- If one computer functions as the File Server and Transmitting Computer (the typical scenario), the Workstation computers get their updates from that computer. Therefore, it is important to download and install updates on the File Server/Transmitting Computer first. Thereafter, update the Workstations, either by starting the program on the Workstation or by selecting Updates from the Main Menu.
- If one computer functions as the File Server and another computer functions as the Transmitting Computer, it is best to download and install updates on the File Server first, then update the Transmitting Computer, then update the Workstations, either by starting the program on the Workstation or by selecting Updates from the Main Menu.
To retrieve updates manually on a Workstation, from the Main Menu of Keystone Tax Solutions Pro select:
Available updates will be retrieved from the File Server and installed.
Automatic State Update Configuration
Some preparers prefer to configure the software to automatically update all the states, so that they can always be ready for any client. To configure states to update automatically upon starting the software, from the Main Menu of Keystone Tax Solutions Pro select:
- In the Internet Update Utility Main Menu, select Configure Updates
- Select the states that you wish to have automatically updated when an update is available
NOTE: The more states that are selected to automatically update, the longer the startup process takes and the longer it will take for the program to get to the login window. However, automatically updating the states helps ensure that you do not fall behind on updates.